Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thirtieth Week Email

Dear Family & Friends,


So Elder Ward goes home this week.... It's so hard to kill someone as
a missionary haha. Just like when you start your mission you talk
about home a lot. Well I found out that you talk about home just as
much when someone is going home haha. But It has been such a great
week. Elder Ward still wants to finish strong and we have been doing
that.

So I guess I will tell you about an awesome miracle that I saw this
week. So It started off with me going on a split up to Gwangju 광주
which is the city of my first area. Our zone leader came down here and
I went on a split with Elder Lee who is the best and was in my
district last transfer. Well they serve in the Area with the biggest
ward in Korea right now so it's known for being awesome, but one of
the bad parts of their area is the house. It's tiny, old, bug infested
(a little), and it's about 90 degrees at night time haha. So lets just
say I slept for 2 hours. So as we were ending the split we met up with
the other missionaries and had lunch and got back on our bus for the
hour and a half trip back. By that we got back to our area it was
probably around 100 degrees with 90% humidity. Anyways we walked over
to the intersection of our giant road and waited for the light to
change. I can kinda picture how both of us looked standing at the
corner with nobody around us just standing in silence. As we walked
across the street though we recognized somebody that we had met a few
weeks earlier. There are about 20 people in gwangyang from Africa
studying shipping and we have met so many of them. Well a few weeks
earlier when we met one of them he walked up to us and asked if we
were missionary's for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
It caught us a little off guard but we said yes and just had a small
conversation with him before he walked away. Well the same man stopped
us in the middle of the big road and was so excited to see us and
asked if we could walk with him back to the side we had just came
from. When we got over there he told us that after we had met he went
on the internet and contacted the church to meet with us again. We
hadn't recieved anything yet but we set up an appointment for the next
day. Well that morning during companionship study we role played the
lessons in english and it was so strange haha. But as we went over to
meet him he was just so happy to see us. Elder Ward and I had the most
amazing time meeting with this man. We started with a prayer and he
was so happy after we prayed. He told us that in his home country that
everybody stays away from the Mormon church because they think that we
worship some strange creature called a Mormon haha. We told him as
missionaries we like to clear things up just like that because a lot
of people think some strange things about us. He just laughed and we
continued on with the lesson. As I shared about the Book of Mormon at
the end he seemed really hessitant. He was asking a lot of questions
about it and if it was mentioned in the bible. We read a few
scriptures out of the Bible and just like that he seemed interested
again. We were wrapping things up when I asked if we could share a
scripture from the Book of Mormon. He agreed so I flipped to Moroni's
Promise and asked him if he would read it. He was still a little
hessitent and asked me if I would read so I did. As I finished I just
asked him a simple question about how he felt. He sat up and looked
right at us and said in such a calm voice, "as you read that I felt
that it was true."
I thought I would be so shocked but I knew at that point in time I
felt the exact same way. And it was so easy to look him in the eyes
and tell him that it was true and share our testimony about the Book
of Mormon. We gave him a Book of Mormon and set up our appointment for
when he and the rest of his group get back from the Netherlands.

It was one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of and
I'm so grateful that we could be in that exact place at that exact
time to meet him. As we texted him the other night before he left we
wished him a safe trip and to have fun. He responded back and told us
how thankful he was at that he would have fun. He also included that
he was studying from the Book of Mormon and that he will during his
entire stay in the Netherlands.

So I guess I just want to say that I am so grateful for the Book of
Mormon. Elder Holland told us at the MTC that in contains it's own
spirit and that it comes out of the pages everytime you read it. That
is so true and I love reading from the Book of Mormon all the time
that I have (Which isn't a whole lot these days) and I never want to
stop reading the Book of Mormon. That is just another huge thing that
I have learned from my Mission.

Well I better get going because I have a family home evening to plan
with all of our Branch. I love all of you and I hope you have an
amazing week.

젠슨 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment