Sunday, September 15, 2013

Eighty-Third Week Email

안녕하세요?

   Hey everybody! There goes that week super fast and I'm back here e-mailing you. It was another great week here in Korea. I'm with my new companion Elder Gibbons and it's pretty nice already knowing my companion so we don't have that awkward getting to know each other time period.

   It was pretty nice this week though. This is probably my first area that it has been really easy to find in. We hang up flyers around the city for our english program and our phone just goes off for the next couple of days. The problem we've had with that is pure english interest these days haha. We have been reminded that we aren't english teachers quite a lot lately from our mission president so it's been a fun time here in Daejeon. Daejeon really is an interesting city though. My area is absolutely huge. It's all city as well and there's just so many people. It's the older part of the city so there's a lot of apartments and we have the really nice downtown area where we have done a lot of street contacting activities. It's just a really nice combination and there's so much potential in this city. We have just been focusing on the ward while we have been here though and it's starting to show with the missionaries working a lot closer with the members. And if you think you're hearing a lot about member missionary work (you might not be) well it's being pounded into our heads over here haha. And I mean if you look at all of the people who have joined the church in our mission and stayed around about 90% is through the members. So we are told all this information and so are the member's here and then they tell us to do the work. It sounds pretty straight forward to me but there's just a small obstacle still in the way and what that is I have no idea. I have heard a million different thoughts and maybe they are all right but maybe they are all wrong so I guess all we can do as missionaries is keep on trying. It would be nice to have all the answers layed out in front of me but where's the fun in that.

    Well sorry I got off on one of those "deep thoughts" that I have been having lately. My favorite thing lately has just been to work though. I'm sure that surprises my family. That and I'm a cleaner in my house. But my last companion and I just did the things missionaries do such as street contacting and knocking doors and we have seen so many miracles come through it. We definitely  involved a lot more member work and that's the best thing we could have been doing but I realized how much I need a young missionary these days haha. They just have energy and want to go talk to people on the streets all day long. It can be a pretty good time. Don't worry though we actually plan a little better than that but with all of these meetings we have been having lately and all the talk that is going around it's nice to get out and go to work. I think that world wide broadcast talked about how the real work happens when we leave our meetings and go out and work. Sorry I can't remember it really well but we have a week full of meetings ahead of us. We have combined district meeting tomorrow, zone meetings all day wednesday and friday, Our p-day on Thursday because this week is the Korean Thanksgiving. I don't understand where everybody goes but the giant cities turn into ghost towns in Korea and everybody goes back the the country side to spend time with their family. So our entire mission to spend that time more effectively will be having meetings all day…. So I'll enjoy my free time today to work. 

   I do have a few stories I want to tell all of you about though. So with Elder Allan leaving we were able to meet pretty much everybody in about 3 days. We just had appointments after appointments this last week. I think what I have really loved here is working with all of the members who haven't been coming out to church for a while. We had an appointment with Sister Go this last week and we have just started working with her to help her. She really enjoys the church and knows that it's great for her to be going out but she just felt like something was missing. Well we were on our way home trying to go fast so we just met her with our recent convert out on the street and we just talked for a little bit. Elder Allan wanted to say goodbye but we were just talking. Elder Allan just asked about her faith after she said the Book of Mormon was no fun. It didn't even seem like that big of a question because they were joking a little bit but she wanted to start with baby steps to come back out to church. So the really interesting part was that when she came out to english class for the first time in months and months she asked me about Ether 12:12. I was just completely blown away that she picked up the Book of Mormon when she didn't even have one in her house for years. I asked why she started studying again and she said that the question Elder Allan asked in passing kind of stuck in her head until the next morning so she decided to "try". That's the only word she would use. It was just such a great thing to see because she was completely surprised by the fact that she picked up the Book of Mormon as well but we just talked about faith and she has been studying daily ever since that day.

   Well I'm blessed here in Korea. I'm not exactly sure why I can meet some of these people that are just so amazing but I guess I'm not really going to complain about it and just keep trying to meet them.

   I love all of you so much and I hope you have a great week!

Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment