Sunday, June 24, 2012

Twenty-Fifth Week Email

Hey Friends & Family,

So half a week in Gwangyang 광양 has already flown by. It was so weird
last night putting away my planner from my last transfer and bringing
out a new one. Gwangyang is pretty much the exact opposite of Gwangju
it's crazy. Since Gwangju was so big we could go out and 전도 street
contact all day but now that I'm in the country side in a branch it's
completely different. Now we have to knock doors all day long but
knocking doors is probably one of the funneist things I can do with
Elder Ward. By the way I haven't stopped smiling and laughing because
Elder Ward is exactly the same as my MTC Companion Elder Brown. Both
of them are from the same part of Arizona and they act exactly the
same. It makes both of them so mad because everybody tells them that.
But Elder Ward is so laid back and everybody loves him when they
answer the door so it's a pretty good time. And Elder Ward is probably
one of the nicest people I have ever met. I get so mad because he's
constantly trying to buy me something, make me food, or compliment me
all of the time haha. We had known eachother a little bit before I
came down here because he had to come sleep over at our house for a
few combined district meetings and mission tour. But life is good here
in Gwangyang!

So yesterday was a pretty interesting day at church. Our church is on
the second story of a building and it's super small but brand new. But
our Branch President has to be one of the best member's ever. About 20
people show up to church and 8 of those people are his family. He has
two of the cutest girls ever and they run the place pretty much. And
we had a fun time yesterday when I did a split with him and we went to
visit less actives around the city. Even though most of the people
don't come to church they have the best relationship with President
Yoo. He would basically call them and tell them that we were coming
over and they were so happy to see us. It's kinda cheating when he
brought his two daughter's a long because you can't not let them into
your house haha. But as we were driving to their house's he told me to
think of a couple messages we could share and it wasn't hard at all to
think of a few because I have been doing it for almost every day for
the past 3 months. And it was so much fun to work with our Branch
President the first day that I met him and I could semi communicate
with him all day long. But Korea has a pretty hard time with retention
so we have always been doing a lot of less active work but everybody
that I have visited with always invites us in and feeds us because
they love the missionarie's.

That reminds me of something I thought about this week. Korean's have
this ridiculous ability to give you anything and you can't turn it
away. I'll be knocking on a door one second and all of a sudden it
opens and I'm being told to sit down in their living room with
homemade mesheer (Japaneese plum) and fruit layed out in front of me
and I don't have a clue how it happened. It seems so strange because
in Korea they have so much respect for anyone older than you. If I'm
teaching a guy that is a year older than me I'm suppose to think of
him as 형 hyong which is older brother. He can basically tell me to do
anything that he wants but he also takes care of me like I was his own
little brother. It seems strange because Elder Ward and I work with a
lot of people who are much older than us but they treat us exactly how
they would treat old friends. It's such an amazing characteristic to
have and you can really see the love Koreans feel for everyone around
them.

Well I love my new area, branch, and companion. It's super different
from what I'm used to but so was speaking and hearing Korean 5 months
ago. Elder Ward is also so supportive when it comes to my launguage
ability and he has already taught me so much. Well I love all of you
and I can't wait to tell you all about Gwangyang in the future.

젠슨 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment