Sunday, April 1, 2012

Thirteenth Week Email

Hell Family & Friends,

How's the past? Just wait until you see the sun today it looks so crazy... not really I just want to be that cool kid who lives in the future haha.
 
  So South Korea..... haha it's just different that's the only way I can explain it. That's a bad explanation but at the end of the day they are people just like us but I can't understand a single word they say.
  
   So I'll just get right into it. My new companion is Elder Allred from Ogen, Utah. He's a big kid who is probably the nicest person I have ever met. We weren't allowed to go shopping until today so he has just been feeding me. I'm serving in the Gwangju east zone and I'm serving in the the poong hyang ward. Gwangju is a huge city and it's about 2 hours south of Daejeon. I introduced myself and shared my Testimony at church yesterday. I love that ward they are super nice and they love greenies. Elder Allred told me on saturday that they never put stuff in the missionary box by the front door at church and when we left church yesterday the box was stuffed with a bunch of treats and he said that's because of me. It's so strange I can travel to the other side of the earth and I can sit in church and feel the same love that I do back in those chapels and classrooms in Utah.
  
   So in Korea they have the huge churches everywhere and they can be 7 stories tall and have giant crosses that stand really tall. Our churches are just like ours back at home. They are older but they have all the classrooms and they are kept super clean at all times.
  
   There's so much going on I don't know what to talk about. We have two Sisters we share our area with. Sister Lee (Korean) and Sister Terry (she's from vegas). Sister Lee calls me her son and she made me a planner that has a bunch of decorations on the outside and a picture with four bears on the inside. I'm the baby bear, I have an older Sister (Sister Lee) and my mom and dad (Sister Lee and Elder Allred) haha it's great. You'll see it in some pictures when I send my card home.
 
   So as soon as I got down to my area we were put to work. We had two appointments and our meeting with our Ward Mission Leader. Our first lesson was with an Grandpa who wants to learn english. English is huge here! Pretty much everything has an English word on it and all of the parents want their kids to learn it. So We offer a free class on Saturdays to teach english and if they show interest we can teach them one on one with a half hour of english and a half hour of Gospel. We have 7 people coming to the Saturday Class and 5 people who are taking lessons. Our second lesson was with a group of Three college students (노에란, 오혜미, 김진영) (no-eh-rahn, oh-hyeh-mee, kim-jeen-young) and they started attending church a couple weeks ago. We are also teaching a ten year old boy named 정호윤 (Jeong-ho-yoon) who has recieved all of the lessons and had a baptismal date but his mom didn't feel like he was ready. So now we're trying to meet with her because 정호윤 loves showing up to church and all of the activities and he has such an amazing Testimony of the Gospel for being so young.
 
   Well other than all of that it's just been an amazing time. I'm trying to get use to the food and that can be hard sometimes. Everything has a fish taste. So I stick with ham and rice for breakfast, lunch, and Dinner. I'm a little scared because I have FHE tonight with the second counselors family and I'm not sure what they will feed me. Elder Allred said that they love to feed greenies the wierdest things they can find... So yeah I'm a little worried about that haha.
 
   I guess if you can get anything from this e-mail just know that I love it here and It's such a crazy experience. I'm still getting used to sleeping on a really thin hard mattress and I love chopsticks already. I love all of the study time in the morning with Elder Allred because his Korean is amazing and he's the most patient person ever. He teaches me so much and he has me do a lot during the lessons and translates them for me. I like walking up to people and trying to talk to them in Korean and they are so patient with me because I'm a foreigner. I'm sorry this e-mail was all over the place but I'm just all over the place. So much has happened and I want to tell all of you everything but I'm pretty much out of time. Well as always I love you and I hope everything is going great at home.
 
Elder Jensen
 
P.S. I guess you need to send everything to the mission home and they'll send it to me.
(Address on the right side of the blog, towards the bottom).

No comments:

Post a Comment