Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fifteenth Week Email


So I just tried to get a haircut... They didn't cut anything on top and they thought I was cute.... They basically made fun of me for an hour straight and Elder Allred was laughing with them the entire time haha. Picture four 40 year old women talking to me like I was a child and laughing at everything I said haha I'm so mad right now.
 
Anyways this last week went by so fast. It felt like yesterday when I e-mailed all of you. But this week was so great. We taught alot and talked to so many people. I play the American card so much here. I start talking to them and they think I'm adorable (they say that all of the time) and than they get caught off guard when Elder Allred starts speaking Korean to them. That also works really well when we are out doing english surveys. Elder Anderson and I just say hello to a lot of people and Elder Allred or Elder Birmingham (Elder Anderson's trainer) start talking to them.
 
The Language barrier is so much bigger than I thought it would be. But I know that it's just going to take a lot of time, studying, and practice to get better. I'm so grateful that they had us teach so much at the MTC because the only place I feel a little more comfortable is teaching lessons.  Basically my entire vocabulary is church related so as long as I'm talking about the church I feel so much better. And that's the entire reason why I'm out here so I'm so happy for what I learned at the MTC and what I'm continually focusing on out here. It's crazy to think I haven't even been here for 3 weeks yet but I can't even begin to tell you what I have learned. Every night after planning my mind and body are exhausted and I basically fall into bed... which is a very hard thin mattress.
 
We had a couple of awesome lessons this week. There's this guy who has a girlfriend in France who is a member. When he went out to France a few months ago the missionaries taught him a couple lessons in english. He's basically fluent in the english language. Well when he came back he told those missionaries to contact the missionaries in his area so they called up our office and we were told that he wanted to visit. It's been hard arranging visits with all of our investigators this week because it's testing week in Korea so our Investigators are super busy. Well he showed up to church yesterday and we had an amazing lesson with him and his Girlfriend and we are meeting with him on Friday. It was cool to see how they interacted with eachother because she can speak a little english and a little Korean and he can speak a little french. But I'm pretty excited to meet with him this weekend.
 
I guess I'll tell you another story about how much I love Korea. So they have these things called Go-Gee buffets which means meat buffet. They are pretty cheap and you can eat as much as you want. Well after a quick survey out by our College we went to a Go-gee buffet and that's when I learned never go to a go-gee buffet with a Korean. Sister Lee (이보배) had me eat an octopus, one of the hottest peppers I have ever eaten, chicken feet, and... The rear end of a chicken.... I'm not going to explain any further on that last one... But she apologized and sent me home with some pumpkin oatmeal and Sister Terry made me biscuits and gravy... I just realized that everybody treats me like a child out here. 
 
I can't even explain how much I love Gwangju. Our Area is huge and there are so many people. We have a lot of colleges in our area so there are a lot of people my age who like to speak english to me. The 풍향 Ward is awesome. After Church yesterday we had a couple lessons and no time to run home to eat and our bishop knew that so they made us food downstairs and sent us home with a lot of rice and kimchi. And Rice is expensive in Korea so that was so nice of them. Our Bishops name is Bishop Yoon and his daughter was actually in my zone at the MTC. She came in for the last 3 weeks that I was at the MTC and I showed him and his wife a picture of the two of us and his Wife hung it up on the pin board haha.
 
Well sorry this letter is so short this week but we're off to go have another sport's day with our zone and the other zone in Gwangju. I love all of you and I hope everything is going great back in the US.
 
젠슨 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment