Monday, August 12, 2013

Seventy-Ninth Week Email

안녕하세요?

   Wow I can honestly not believe it's already Monday again. This week just flew by way too fast but it was still a great week. Elder Allan and I just went out and went to work. Right now we're serving in the Sunhwa ward. The ward here in Daejeon split and my ward had 15 members move out of the area so now we have one of the biggest most populated area's in the mission and our ward is very small. Well our Bishop sat us down yesterday and told that to our faces and gave us a really good pep talk. But we made a lot of new plans with the ward that I have never really tried and we got some new ward missionaries so I'm really excited to see where this goes.

   We just had a week where we saw so much happen. We met a new friend this week and him and our member are the exact same person. Our member was baptized this year and he's going to be one of my best friends. But we called him up to meet with our new investigator and it was creepy how similar they were. They both even wore the exact same pair of crocs which is unheard of in Korea apparently but I've never really had an experience like that before. But that relationship made the biggest difference during the lesson and Brother So our member did amazing. It was a simple introduce everything and get to know eachother and teach a little bit kind of lesson. But by the time we finished our new friend got our member's number and they have already texted a little bit. I wish I could just explain to all of you how similar these two are and how great the just hit it off but I guess it's one of those things you have to see.

   We had a few other pretty great experiences. We met with our friend John is an american living here teaching english. John has to be one of the smartest people I have ever met when it comes to education and history on religion. He was a part of the seventh day adventist religion and we had such a great conversation. I don't know how to explain everything we talked about but I had the worst feeling the entire time we were talking. Not because we were bible bashing or anything like that but when John talks about all of his thoughts and all of his views on religion it was just so sad. He even had to stop at one point and he apologized for talking about those kinds of sad things. I kind of sat up and looked at Elder Allan and we both had this blank empty looks on our faces and I could only imagine what we looked like to John. And after we talked for a little bit he did mention that he loved that about our religion. That we are always so happy and that happiness plays such a big role in our lives. But the reason why I was so sad by the time we left is because he told us that he's not happy. He told us that he really enjoys sitting down and talking about things like that and he doesn't really have an idea on what he believes and that's okay to him. He is completely content with not finding happiness and just really talking about these things with all sorts of people. That was normal to John and that is how he has come to believe in everything he believes and I can always respect somebody for having that much desire to study and ponder about things but I guess when everything was done he told us to our face that he wasn't happy, and he was content with that. That's still something I can't really wrap my mind around but the walk home was a quiet one and I felt so sad. I was content for a while in my life and I don't regret that time but now I'm sitting in a Korean coffee shop with the biggest smile on my face and I'm nowhere close to being content. I haven't been comfortable since I left Jeonju and that's such a great blessing to me. The most important lesson I had when I was learning how to swim is when my dad told me to jump off the diving board and he would catch me... we all know how that ended. But I learned so much on my mission when I went co-senior with Elder Pobst. I learned even more with Elder Hughes when I was training. I guess the main point I'm getting at is that it's really easy to be content but that's where I saw my progress slow and that happiness we talked about with John slow down as well. And talk about getting out of your comfort zone by being in a country where none of the foreigners are 10% fluent in the language and culture almost seems opposite in every way. And I love it.

   Well that's Elder Jensen's thoughts on the week. I hope I have more to tell you next week and I hope all of you have an amazing week. I will.

젠슨 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment