Sunday, October 20, 2013

Eighty-Eighth Week Email

안녕하세요?

   Well another transfer day is here. And I will be staying here in the Sunhwa Ward with Elder Gibbons for another transfer. I'm so happy because I love this area so much. And as always our mission was flipped on it's head this morning with all of the news about transfers. But I'm so excited to see what's going to happen this next transfer. The only thing that really effects us here is we get a two man house and a smaller district.

   Well this week was a little slow but we were able to see some great miracles as always. It just took us a little longer to find those miracles haha. We had about 7 appointments cancel about 20 minutes before the lessons, so needless to say we studied how to plan better this last week. But we have just been dying to meet with Sister Kim and her two twin boys Tim and Kevin lately but we still haven't found a time. I was on a split with Elder Peterson the other night and we had one appointment cancel so we were off to go talk with our second councilor and put up some advertisements for free english and we found ourselves.... not particularly excited to do these things haha. We are both "old missionaries" but I would choose teaching a lesson over doing those other activities any day of the week. Well we were off to go put them up around town when I got a call from Sister Kim. She asked us if we could meet in half an hour and we turned right around and had a pretty big spring in our step and had the biggest smiles on our faces as we started to speed walk towards the church. Well for about four minutes I felt like a missionary that I imagined before the mission. We went straight to planning on how to teach, what kind of commitment we could give, and we were just happy to meet with this amazing family. For those four minutes, as we walked through the downtown part of our area surrounded by hundreds of people, not a single thing crossed my mind except how to do this lesson with this family we had been dying to meet. Well we got the call that said her husband had to go back to work suddenly and that we could meet next week and we turned around and got right back to the original back up plan with a little less excitement. But for those 4 minutes of just pure joy I felt like we were doing exactly what we were called here to do without a doubt. Don't get me wrong we spent that night talking to our amazing member for 20 minutes and talked to some pretty great people that night but I just want to teach haha. I guess that's where I'm in the wrong saying "I want" but I really do just want to meet with families and teach. I want to see how these people react to what were sharing them and see them make the steps towards Christ. Serving in Korea means that some companionships go for 2 or 3 weeks without teaching a single lesson out in the country side. It also means you could visit your entire branch in a week so easily with so much time left over that you still have to come up with some amazing plans to feel effective in your area haha. I'm just thinking about my second area as I talk about this. But I can see the desire in so many missionaries and how hard they work so hard just to teach that one lesson. Even when the first thing the person says is that they are only there to learn english and ask the missionaries to not speak Korean at all. I ask my district how we can help them every night and the common answer is that I can pray to help them meet their investigators and teach.

   Well I just read all of that and it might come off like I'm complaining but please don't think of it that way. I'm still happy to meet people out on the streets or visit with the amazing members of the Sunhwa Ward. I just enjoy teaching people about the gospel so much more. I love sharing with these people the thing that I myself am still learning and building my testimony in. I feel like all of my experience in the gospel comes from these past two short years in Korea but I have learned that you don't have to be perfect at something to try to teach it to others. The Apostles went fishing after Christ Died. I think we can all remember that talk by Elder Holland. Elder Holland even came to the MTC twice while I was there and labeled all of us missionaries as apostles with a lower case A. So we're out here learning still and we just want to meet people and teach them about what we ourselves are learning. It's a great time to be here. 

 I apologize for just writing everything that came to my mind again. It seems really scattered and it makes a lot more sense in my head (just like everything else). Maybe one day I'll learn how to convey exactly what I'm thinking but until then I guess you'll get these e-mails and have to put up with the craziness because I want to tell you about my week haha. I love all of you and I hope you have a great week. We will here in Korea.

젠슨 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment